NewsPay It Forward


Parents share story of ‘miracle’ baby to benefit March of Dimes

Posted at 11:15 PM, Apr 24, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-24 23:15:52-04

HUDSONVILLE, Mich. — Kate and Andrew Jansen have quite the story to tell about how their youngest son entered the world. Little Myles Kreno Jansen arrived ten weeks early -- and in the living room of their new home.

Weighing in at just 3 pounds, 14 ounces, Myles faced an uphill battle to survive in a neonatal intensive care unit. After 34 days in the hospital, he was finally able to go home and has continued to progress ever since.

Myles is now two years old and thriving. The Jansens credit the March of Dimes for his incredible outcome. They are now serving as an Ambassador Family for the Grand Rapids March for Babies to share their story and raise awareness for the important work the group does.

The March of Dimes works to end premature births and birth defects while promoting the health of babies everywhere.

Watch the video above to learn more about the Jansens' story of hope.

To learn about upcoming “March For Babies” across West Michigan, click here.

The following information was provided by the March of Dimes:

2013 was a big year for the Jansen family. One week after selling their home and with plans to build their next, the Jansen’s learned they were expecting! The news of this pregnancy was met with a mix of emotions: excitement, joy, stress, and uncertainty mingled together. Kate had one year old son, Liam, but had also suffered the loss of a child from a miscarriage. Kate felt sure that Myles was going to come early.

In Kate’s words, “God was preparing their hearts for Myles’ big entrance.” A new home in time for the holidays, a son on the way, 2014 was set to be a great year for the Jansen’s.

January 29, 2014 would become a day the Jansen’s would never forget. Kate awoke feeling that she might be in labor. Kate had already experienced a false alarm the week before and so went about her day. After a few hours at work, she took her older son, Liam, to his doctor’s appointment. Kate was beginning to feel some discomfort at the doctor’s office and decided to head home to take it easy. January 29, 2014 was a particularly snowy day, and on the trip home, the car got stuck in the snow. Kate carried Liam up the road and then drive way to the house. Once inside, she realized that things were progressing and Myles was indeed on his way. Kate was afraid. Home alone with her one year old son Liam and unable to reach Andrew, her husband, by phone, Kate decided to call a coworker and friend, an experienced Neonatal Intensive Care Unit nurse. She told her friend that she needed her help. Kate was sure she was about to have another miscarriage, and needed someone to help walk her through it.

While waiting for help to arrive, Kate was not doing well. She was alone with Liam and on the verge of drifting into unconsciousness. Kate called a neighbor, another nurse friend, to ask for help. She came right over and called 911. The emergency response had difficulty finding the brand new home and address.

Thankfully, everyone seemed to get there at the perfect time. The fire department plowed the driveway clear of snow to allow the ambulance access to the home. No sooner had the ambulance arrived than Kate was ready to push. Myles was coming right there in the Jansen’s new living room. With the help of friends and co-workers, Myles Kreno Jansen was born at 30 weeks and one day. He weighed 3 pounds 14 ounces and measured 18 inches long. His first cries brought tears to the eyes of everyone in the room. Within seconds, Myles was off to the hospital to receive needed medical attention. He made it all the way to the hospital breathing on his own. Andrew got home just as Myles was being loaded into the ambulance and soon after, he and Kate would follow.

There were a few scary moments, but Myles was a fighter. Upon arriving at the hospital, Myles was immediately placed on a warming pad and under a radiant warmer to increase his body temperature and heart rate. He suffered from respiratory distress syndrome. He was given surfactant therapy and would eventually be intubated for a short time. Thankfully, his lungs developed and he was soon breathing on his won. Myles proved himself time and time again. The

Jansen’s spent the next 34 days celebrating each new triumph and praying through each trial. They credit the strength and support of others and the talents of all those working as crucial components in allowing Myles to grown and thrive. The Jansen’s feel so blessed to have had so much talent and wisdom around to support their little man and family.