BATTLE CREEK, Mich. — A balcony fire on Tuesday night is being blamed on smoking.
The Battle Creek Fire Department says crews responded to The Arbors apartment complex, finding a third-floor balcony on fire. Firefighters doused the flames quickly, preventing the fire from getting to the building.
Officials say the man living at the apartment got 1st-degree burns on his arms when he tried to put out the fire himself.
The fire was started by discarded smoking materials, according to investigators.