NewsLocal NewsKent


"Refreshments Zones" come to downtown Grand Rapids, allows drinking on public property

Posted at 5:08 PM, Aug 25, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-25 18:48:21-04

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — You're now allowed to walk around the City of Grand Rapids with an alcoholic beverage in your hand.

With restrictions, of course.

Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. teamed up with the city and the state to make it possible.

“This is really about expanding the business footprint outside and giving them another avenue to sell what they’re selling,” Managing Director of Planning and Design for Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. said.

Drinks must be purchased from licensed, participating businesses, such as Tin Can or The Corner Bar, a new pop-up bar at the Amway.

Drinks purchased must be in designated containers that are 16 ounces, display the name of the bar, and the refreshment zone name on them.

Adult beverages purchased within these requirements are allowed within three social districts, as shown on this map below:

You cannot cross districts with drinks or enter other businesses with them.

You can, however, walk around the designated areas or sit in Canal Park and Ah-Nab-Awen Park.

For. more information on participating locations and hours, click here.