As work begins on I-196 between Market Avenue and US-131 and extends through October, the first weekend will see major closures.
But that complete closure will be temporary.
First, lane closures have been introduced on eastbound I-196 on Wednesday, May 13.
Then, westbound I-196 will be completely closed from US-131 to Market Avenue over the weekend of May 15-18. After that, you can expect lane closures as repairs are made to all the bridges in both directions on that stretch of freeway through October.
Here is the schedule so far as announced by the Michigan Department of Transportation:
- Lane closures from Market Avenue to US-131 from 9 a.m. May 13 through October 31.
- Completely closed from US-131 to Market Avenue from 9 p.m. Friday, May 15, till no later than 5 a.m. Monday, May 18.
- Detour: 131 south to M-6 west.
Ramp closures from 9 p.m. Friday, May 15, till no later than 5 a.m. Monday, May 18:
- Ionia Avenue to I-196 westbound.
- US-131 southbound to I-196 westbound. Detour: 131 south to M-6 west. (Avoid construction on Market Avenue between US-131 and I-196.)
- US-131 northbound to I-196 westbound.
- All ramps on I-196 westbound between Lane Avenue and Market Avenue, including the Market Avenue exit ramp.
MDOT notes that such weekend closures may occur again later during the project.