GRAND RAPIDS TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Firefighters have returned to the scene of a house fire that started in a garage at later spread throughout the home.
It started around 5:30 a.m. Monday at a home in the 2900 block of Alson Drive NE in Grand Rapids Township.
The homeowner told FOX 17 he had just finished wrapping all of his kids' Christmas gifts on Sunday evening, saying, “it's just frustrating and sad with Christmas. Not that there's ever a good time for this. But, we’ll get through it.”
The fire was extinguished Monday morning, but crews had to return to the scene after the fire rekindled later in the day. A restoration services company was working on cleanup at the home when the fire started up again.
The fire had initially started early Monday morning, around 5:30 a.m.
Scott, the homeowner said, "I heard a big bang out in the garage. I thought a shelf fell or something. I opened the door to look and it was fully engulfed in flames.”
Only the homeowner and his girlfriend were home at the time of the fire. She was hospitalized for smoke inhalation.
“Thank goodness my kids weren’t here, they were with their mom this weekend," he said Monday afternoon.
Scott told FOX 17 that he had only moved into the home back in June. He says it was the perfect place to live.
”It was perfect just the way it was. The owner I bought it from took such good care of it. It was in fantastic shape, great school district," he said.
Even happening just days before the Holidays, Scott says the family will make it through, saying, "Everyone's been incredibly generous with their time and donations and the neighbors are getting Christmas presents for my kids and wrapping them because I lost all those too."