NewsLocal NewsIonia

Actions

Fire burns Ionia Free Fair Grand Marshall's home

Posted at 11:09 PM, Dec 19, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-20 02:41:47-05

IONIA, MIch. —
A fire destroyed Roxanne and Mike Nelson's home late Wednesday night. Now, the community is telling us more about the husband and wife who are still in the hospital. They were airlifted.

Roxanne has been a volunteer with the Ionia Free Fair for the last 40 years.

“Tireless worker for the fair. A wonderful promoter of the fair, and of our community,” fair board member Keith Hesche said.

Keith has known Mike since high school. He says the husband and wife are a vital part of their community.

“Just one of those people that’s just a dear individual, that does so much for the community,” Hesche said.

Neighbor Brian Andrew says he saw the fire last night .

“So I whipped around, pulled up in front, called 911," neighbor Brian Andrew said.

Andrew was one of the first to call on the fire. But he wishes he did more.

“That part of it, I feel really guilty, because I wanted to go in. But the flames were exiting the building,” Andrew said.

Multiple departments responded to the fire. The exact conditions of the Nelsons are unknown. We will continue to update you as we learn more.