GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — It’s standard operating procedure for the Michigan Department of Transportation to suspect road projects on holiday weekends. This Labor Day weekend will be one such construction holiday, with an added bonus: Many projects will be finished this week.
If a road project already has lane closures and traffic shifts running around the clock, those lane closures are likely to remain. It’s the projects where lane and ramp closures come and go that will be most affected by the holiday break.
Work will be suspended beginning Friday, August 29, at 3 p.m., and will resume at 6 a.m. Tuesday, September 2.
Several projects drivers have dealt with for several weeks will end this week:
US-131 bridge repairs in the S-Curve
- Lane closures from north of I-196 to Wealthy Street
- Ramp closures on I-196 to southbound US-131
- MDOT schedule has all lanes and ramps open by 11 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 27
M-37 northbound lane closure at Sparta Avenue
- MDOT schedule has all lanes open and Sparta Avenue open by 5 p.m. Friday, Aug. 29
M-82 closure in Fremont
- M-82 closed from Fremont to M-120
- MDOT schedule has the highway reopened by 5 p.m. Friday, Aug. 29