Here Are The Rules To Filing A Pothole Damage Claim With MDOT

Posted at 7:17 AM, Feb 14, 2014
and last updated 2014-02-14 07:50:30-05

Pothole damageLANSING, Mich. (Feb. 14, 2014) — Michigan drivers can file claims with MDOT to be reimbursed for damage suffered from potholes, but there are a few rules to remember.

The most important rule is that the damage must have been suffered on what is called a state trunkline, that is, a road for which MDOT is responsible. That means a road with a an “M,”I,” or “US” in the designation, such as M-11, US-131, or I-96.

Second, you must be able to prove that MDOT know of the damaged pavement and “failed to maintain the highway in reasonable repair,” according to a release from MDOT Director of Communications Jeff Cranson. That’s by state law.

That can be difficult, “because potholes develop quickly,” said the release. “Few claims are eligible.”

Here’s a summary of the rules:

  • Obtain a claim form at the MDOT website.
  • The damage must occur on a state trunk line.
  • Prove MDOT knew of the problem and had a chance to repair it or that the problem was there for more than 30 days
  • File claims of $1,000 or more at MDOT Transportation Center in the area the incident occurred (TSC locations)
  • File claims of more than $1,000 at Michigan Court of Claims in Lansing.

Remember, these rules apply to roads MDOT maintains. Local streets and county roads don’t apply here.