NewsNational News


'This is my worst nightmare come true:' Dad reacts to 1-year-old being left in scalding hot water

Posted at 11:31 AM, Dec 17, 2019

MILWAUKEE, Wis. -- A Milwaukee father is speaking out for the first time since his 1-year-old daughter was allegedly left in scalding hot bathwater by his child's mother's new boyfriend.

Anthony Wilson said his daughter, Kelsey Wilson, was left with over 15 percent of burns on her body since the accident.

Girl 2.jpg

Akeem Saygo, 27, is charged with neglecting a child – consequence is great bodily harm. The charge is a class A felony that carried up to 12 years and six months in prison.

Akeme Saygo.jpg

“Honestly, this is my worst nightmare come true,” Wilson said.

The incident happened on December 9, according to investigators. Court records said Saygo told investigators he placed Kelsey Wilson inside the bathtub, ran water and left the room to finish the laundry.

Girl 4.jpg

“I don’t see how this could’ve been an accident,” Wilson said.

Investigators say they were told Saygo noticed Wilson crying when he returned to the room. He then texted Wilson’s mother:

“I need to take the baby to the hospital. Call me ASAP. I made the water too hot for the girls. I put her in the tub and left the hot water on. I swear to God I did not do that on purpose,” are what court records said Saygo texts to Wilson’s mother.

Girl 3.jpg

Saygo did not go to the hospital with the child and her mother. Wilson said he tried reaching out to Saygo after the incident by phone.

“He cut his phone off after [I was trying] to reaching him for about an hour or so,” Wilson said.

Girl 1.jpg

According to the criminal complaint, Kelsey Wilson suffered second-degree burns and has a risk of permanent scarring.

Burn Pic.jpg

Wilson said it will be very tough for him to trust others with his children in the future.

“I don’t think I’ll ever have that type of trust again,” Wilson said. “It wasn’t until I pulled the blanket and saw her burns. I cried when I first saw her.

Saygo will face a judge in court on December 23.

The family has setup a GoFundMe to help with medical expenses.

This story was originally published by Tony Atkins at WTMJ.