NewsLocal NewsMichigan


Video captures chaos after man is allegedly attacked by Family Dollar employees

Posted at 5:51 AM, Jul 09, 2020
and last updated 2020-07-09 05:51:37-04

Delbert McFolley is speaking out after he says he was attacked by employees at a Family Dollar in Southfield and it was all captured on video.

McFolley, a former employee at the Family Dollar on Greenfield and 9 Mile roads, is upset and angry and says the incident never should have happened in the first place.

“It was nothing but chaos. In my head I was just thinking, how am I going to get out of the store,” McFolley said.

He says he couldn’t believe what happened to him inside the store as he and his fiancé were buying cleaning products. McFolley says he wasn’t wearing a mask, and the store manager asked him why he wasn’t wearing a mask. Then things escalated when he went to buy his merchandise.

“She is on the phone having a conversation on speaker phone saying, 'Oh yeah, he doesn’t work here anymore. I fired him but you know how they be: they like to come back to the store after I fired them and cause trouble,'” McFolley said.

McFolley left the store to avoid conflict but realized he didn’t have his merchandise. In the video you can see him walk into the store and go to the back near the drink area. When he gets to the back and opens the refridgerator door, that’s when fists start flying.

“Her son just hits me out of nowhere," McFolley remembers. "Next thing I know, we was all over everything. The ground, the shelves. She was hitting me the whole time."

We tried talking to the manager at the Family Dollar. She said she wanted to talk but was afraid of losing her job. She referred us to corporate. We called corporate but haven’t heard back.

McFolley has a few bumps and bruises but for the most part is going to be okay.

“I tried to protect myself as much as possible,” he said.

WXYZ reached out to Southfield police chief and deputy chief for information and haven’t heard back. McFolley went to the hospital. He’ll meet with Southfield police on Thursday to discuss the incident.