HOLLAND, Mich. — A man was taken to the hospital with burn injuries after a house fire around 8:11 p.m. on Friday night.
The Holland Fire Department responded to a house near the corner of College Avenue and East 40th Street. to find a "working fire" with heavy smoke from a single story home.
They learned that a resident was inside and was able to escape, however they were injured in the process.
Firefighters found no one else in the home and were able to bring the fire under control.
They stayed on scene until roughly 10 p.m.
That victim was taken to Holland Hospital by American Medical Response, where he is expected to be ok.
The fire department is not yet sure what the extent of the damage is, however they say that it was an accident as a result of cooking.
Holland Police Department also helped during this incident.
Holland Fire Department warns that this is the third large residential fire in the city since the beginning of the year involving a resident being injured. They want to remind everyone to have working smoke alarms in their houses and test them at least once a month.
They are offering a "Residential Fire Safety Checklist" for you to look over and make sure you are ready in case of a fire: https://www.cityofholland.com/DocumentCenter/View/490/Residential-Fire-Safety-Checklist-PDF
Captain Chris Tinney is open for any further questions or additional information at 616-355-1023.