NewsLocal NewsLakeshoreOttawa

Actions

Grand Haven possibly to remove 1930's wells exposed by erosion

Posted at 11:20 PM, Feb 04, 2020
and last updated 2020-02-04 23:20:15-05

GRAND HAVEN, Mich. — Grand Haven is now looking for a way to remove old wells, uncovered by erosion. The wells were first placed there in the 1930s and were used for less than two decades before being retired.

Eight wells are currently in place. Two are currently exposed. One can be seen from the shoreline and the other is visible from a bird's eye view.

"I thought at first it was something that had just washed up from the lake, just a piece of trash or something" said Liv Markey, a Grand Haven resident.

The wells first became exposed in the fall of 2019 and continue to be visible. The wells were previously exposed throughout portions of the 1950s and 1980s. This year marks the first time, however, the city has moved to actually remove the structures.

City council members voted to approve an engineering survey in January to learn more about the decades-old structures. The study will determine how much it will cost to remove the wells and the best method for removal.

"Grand Haven is such a great place to come and visit and recreate and on the shorelines and at the state park," said Joe Vanderstel, Water Facilities Manager with the City of Grand Haven. "Safety is the biggest concern. We want to make sure that everybody can have a safe visit to the beach."

Once the engineering survey is complete, the city will vote on whether or not it will move forward with the plans. Vanderstel would like to see the wells taken out by June 2020.