NewsLocal NewsKent


'Could have been a lot worse': Bodycam footage shows 18-year-old murder suspect, detective fighting for control of gun

18-year-old Htet Walar Tun is now facing charge of open murder, along with 8 other felonies related to the physical confrontation
Posted at 2:13 PM, Apr 29, 2022
and last updated 2022-04-29 18:52:16-04

GAINES TOWNSHIP, Mich. — An 18-year-old from Kent County accused of murdering his father and injuring a detective during a struggle over a rifle has been identified. The sheriff's office released bodycam video from the physical confrontation Friday afternoon.

Kent County Sheriff Michelle LaJoye-Young says deputies were called to a home on Sunbrook Drive to check on a person around 2 p.m. on Thursday — inside, they found 49-year-old Aung Myint Tun dead from a gunshot wound.

Once deputies realized they were dealing with a crime scene, they backed out of the house and began the process of requesting a search warrant.

They would have to wait about an hour and a half before a judge signed the search warrant.

RELATED: Teen arrested after man found dead, deputy shot in Gaines Township

Detectives were dispatched to the home to investigate the suspicious death. While they were investigating, the sheriff’s office says the victim’s 18-year-old son Htet Walar Tun drove up to the front of the home.

Kent County detectives made contact with Htet but say he refused to unlock the door and exit the vehicle.

"It became evident to the detectives almost immediately that there was an assault-style weapon between his body and the door, on the driver's side," Kent Co. Sheriff Michelle LaJoye-Young told FOX 17 Friday afternoon.

According to the sheriff, Htet then grabbed his weapon, and several detectives entered the vehicle to try to secure the gun.

"It was difficult for them to get in, but eventually they were able to reach in, get the door open ... and many of the detectives, some from both sides, tried to secure the weapon," Sheriff LaJoye-Young explained.

Detective Nathan Stanton, involved in the struggle, grabbed the barrel of the gun to prevent Htet from pointing it at anyone. That’s when investigators say Htet fired a round, causing a muzzle blast injury to Stanton’s hand.

Fortunately, the bullet did not strike anyone.

"His spirits are high. Obviously, there's a lot of pain associated with this injury. And unfortunately, it's going to be painful for some time, but he is expected to make a full recovery," LaJoye-Young said.  

"As the Sheriff, I get a call like this, my heart about stopped for a second ... I'm very blessed that this deputy is okay."

She says an autopsy was performed on Aung Myint Tun, finding his cause of death to be two gunshot wounds. The father and son had been living together in the Gaines Township home.

18-year-old Htet Walar Tun is now facing an open murder charge in the death of his father.

He is also facing another eight felony charges for his confrontation with deputies — discharge of a firearm from a vehicle causing injury, carrying a concealed weapon, resisting an officer causing injury, two counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony, and three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon.

If convicted on all counts, Tun could face life behind bars.

According to online court records, Htet Tun was previously arrested in October 2021 on a felony weapons charge.

The sheriff's office released dashcam footage of the struggle on Friday.

Body cam footage released after 18-year-old accused of murdering father, assaulting Kent County detective

Stanton, who’s been with the department for four years, was taken to the hospital by law enforcement. He has since been released and is expected to make a full recovery.

Follow FOX 17: Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - YouTube