NewsLocal NewsIonia


Man accused of stabbing Ionia Co. store clerk with katana sword charged

Jonathan Richard Wroten, 36, is facing several felony charges related to the alleged attack
Johnathon Wroten.jpg
Posted at 3:49 PM, Nov 01, 2021
and last updated 2021-11-01 18:44:15-04

EASTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A man has been charged after police say he stabbed a convenience store clerk with a katana sword during a robbery.

Jonathan Wroten from Ionia was charged Monday with armed robbery, assault with intent to murder, resisting arrest and felonious assault. He was arraigned in the Ionia County District Court on charges from two separate cases.

Wroten was also arraigned on a charge of resisting, assaulting or obstructing an officer from an incident that happened on October 20.

He was denied bond, and will remain in jail while awaiting court proceedings.

The stabbing happened Sunday around 11:39 a.m. at 'More Purks' convenience store on W. Lincoln Avenue in Ionia County’s Easton Township.

RELATED:Man arrested after stabbing clerk with a katana

The Ionia County Sheriff’s Office says Wroten, dressed in all black and carrying a katana sword, walked to the convenience store and tried to use a rope to tie the door shut from the outside. Deputies say the store clerk confronted the suspect from inside the store and asked what was going on.

According to deputies, that’s when Wroten unsheathed his sword and stabbed the clerk through the doorway.

That store clerk was 56-year-old Ted Rux Jr., who was seriously injured in the alleged attack.

The sheriff’s office says Rux tried to run back into the store, but Wroten followed him and “continued slashing and hacking at the clerk’s head and neck".

"He was just going hysterical," another employee named Jennifer, who was also at the store when the incident happened, told FOX 17 Monday.

"When Ted came to the door, he stabbed the knife through the door, and as it did, it [the sword] went right through his arm."

Wroten followed Rux behind the counter, taking cash and cigarettes, according to police.

“Ted gave him the money that was in the register, and he looked at him and told him he didn’t need any more of the money that was in there, then he started getting into the cigarettes," Jennifer said.

She says Wroten was only in the store about 10 minutes time before he left.

The sheriff’s office says Wroten was found in a farm field off Haynor Road. After a short standoff with police, he man was taken into custody.

Rux was taken to the hospital with critical injuries, where he was listed as being in serious but stable condition. He was released from the hospital late Monday

You can donate towards Ted Rux Jr's medical expenses at a Gofundme account HERE, set up by his daughter.

Wroten is expected to be back in court on November 15 for a probable cause hearing.