NewsLocal News


Two die in fire after car stuck in snow outside inn; CO poisoning suspected

Two die in Cass Co. Car fire
Posted at 1:46 PM, Jan 07, 2022
and last updated 2022-01-08 03:11:00-05

POKAGON TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Two people died in a car fire after the vehicle got stuck in the snow. Deputies believe carbon monoxide poisoning may have played a role.

It happened about 3:50 a.m. Friday outside the Castle Inn of M-51 South in Pokagon Township, the Cass County Sheriff’s Office said.

Deputies say it looks like the vehicle got stuck in the driveway because of heavy snowfall, with attempts to get the vehicle out being unsuccessful.

Carbon monoxide may have filled the passenger compartment, rendering both people inside the car unconscious, the sheriff’s office said.

How to avoid Carbon Monoxide poisoning.png

Authorities believe the heat from the overworked engine caused the fire.

Names of the victims are being withheld until they’re positively identified.

Family members were out at the scene Friday evening. They appeared very emotional and heartbroken.

The Pokagon Fire Department and WMED assisted deputies at the scene.

Follow FOX 17: Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - YouTube