Officials say it’s a ‘Christmas miracle’ no one was hurt in Grand Rapids house fire

gr spencer street fire.jpg
Posted at 11:04 PM, Dec 22, 2021
and last updated 2021-12-23 12:51:15-05

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Fire officials say it’s a “Christmas miracle” no one was hurt or killed in house fire on the north side of Grand Rapids.

The fire broke out Wednesday night at a home in the 300 block of Spencer St NE.

Investigators are still trying to figure out how and where the fire started but say it’s likely it started in an electrical junction box in a void in the first floor apartment.

Lt. Bill Smith with the Grand Rapids Fire Department says the space was undergoing renovations at the time.

Officials also say due to the deteriorating condition of the building, crews were ordered to evacuate and fight the fire from the outside.

According to officials, smoke detectors in the living spaces of the building were working but did not go off because the smoke was likely venting out of the building due to the location where they believe the fire started.

Firefighters say the occupants on the second floor of the home smelled the smoke and were able to get out their kids and most of their pets out safely. Some of the family’s pet lizards died in the fire.

The second floor of the building suffered extensive damage.

Lt. Smith says the fire is not considered suspicious.