KALAMAZOO, Mich. — Due to the critical shortage of personal protective equipment and disinfecting supplies nationwide, Bronson Healthcare is turning to the community for donations of specific new or unused items.
The plea also includes home-sewn face masks, according to Bronson yesterday.
Starting March 23, Bronson will begin collecting items from 1-4 p.m. at five sites in the region.
- Kalamazoo: Bronson FastCare, 6220 W. Main St.
- Portage: Bronson Diagnostics at Woodbridge, 2640 W. Centre St.
- Battle Creek: Bronson Urology Specialists, 4441 Capital Ave. SW
- Paw Paw: Bronson LakeView Outpatient Center, 451 Health Parkway
- South Haven: Bronson Family Medicine, 930 Blue Star Highway
All donations must be dropped off in person. Items that list expiration dates must be unexpired.
Bronson said it is essential that nobody involved in the creation, distribution or delivery of new/unused materials or homemade masks have any symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath) or have recently been exposed to anyone experiencing these symptoms or who has tested positive for COVID-19.
Acceptable items to donate include these new and unused items:
- Disposable face masks
- N95 masks, sometimes called respirators
- Eye protection, including face shields and safety goggles
- Disposable gowns
- Disposable gloves, especially non-latex
- Disposable surgical caps
- Disposable foot covers
- Wipes: bleach or anti-microbial
- Hand sanitizer
Bronson is also accepting specialized medical equipment items: including PAPRs (powered air-purifying respirators) and PAPR hoods, nasal testing swabs and viral testing kits. Bronson is not able to accept the following items: medication, blankets, toys, clothing or other medical supplies.
The health system is accepting home-sewn face masks as well. These will be used by staff in appropriate areas to help protect them and conserve the supply of PPE. Recommendations for materials and patterns are available on this page at its website.
Anyone with questions or needing additional information can contact Community Activities Branch Director Josh Fitzgibbon at email@example.com.
Monetary donations are also welcome and can be made to the Bronson Health Foundation online or by mail:
Bronson Health Foundation
301 John Street, Box C
Kalamazoo, MI 49007