When it comes to home decor, little changes can make a big difference. Whether homeowners are intentional about the decor they put in their home, or are clueless of where to begin, there's always something new to learn a the Grand Rapids Remodeling and New Homes Show.
Leslie Hart-Davidson, Lead Designer at HDD Studios and one of the featured vendors at the show, stopped by the studio to give us a sneak-peak at her show seminars:
Leveling Up from Live, Laugh Love – Tips for Creating Meaningful Home Décor
• Premise: HGTV shows promote "staging" homes with mass-produced wall decor that looks pretty but has no emotional value.
• "Leveling Up" advocates for being intentional with decor choices that reflect the trifecta: who you are, where you come from, and what you believe in.
• Props and examples include side-by-side comparisons of "staging" decor and its "leveled up" replacement.
• 4 p.m. both Friday and Saturday
Remodeling Your House without Killing Your Spouse
• Premise: Leslie's first design book that asks the question "Have you ever considered homicide during home improvement?"
• RYHWKYS offers professional tips for surviving a remodel with your relationship intact.
• 4 key areas: Communication (being on the same page with your spouse and contractor about expectations), Cash (budgeting realistically), CRAP (a design language to put your feelings into words), and Character (avoiding staged decor to make your home truly yours.)
• The book RYHWKYS is available at Amazon as well as at the show.
• 7 p.m. Friday, 6 p.m. Saturday
The GR Remodeling and New Homes Show will take place January 17-19 at DeVos Place.
Tickets cost $10 for adults online and $12 at the door. Children are $4 and kids under 5 get in for free. Multi-day adult tickets cost $18 and can be purchased online.
For more information on vendors and exhibition times, visit buildremodelgr.com.