BERRIEN COUNTY, Mich. — Due to the 'Stay Home, Stay Safe' order put in place by Governor Gretchen Whitmer, the Children's Advocacy Center of Southwest Michigan has announced that this year for Child Abuse Prevention Month in April, efforts for education and awareness will be strictly through social media.
The center is encouraging that anyone who has the means should use the power of social media to take action on behalf of children during the month of awareness.
These efforts begin on Friday, April 3, as the center is asking everyone to participate in national #WearBlueDay2020, a day dedicated celebrating child abuse prevention efforts across the country. Those participating are encouraged to use the hashtag #WearBlueDay2020 as a chance to highlight the way that the center is joining with organizations and individuals across Michigan, and the country, to bring awareness to prevention.
All the employees at the Children’s Advocacy Center of Southwest Michigan are still working to conduct forensic Interviews of children suspected to be victims of abuse, offering free tele-health therapy services to our clients, and using our Facebook page to keep parents and caregivers informed of potential risks and provide abuse prevention tips, education, and resources during these times.
Those wishing to participate can get involved in Child Abuse Prevention Awareness Month by:
· Wearing blue on April 3rd and tell people (via zoom, google hangout, FaceTime, etc.) you are participating in a national day to highlight child abuse prevention!
· Taking a picture of yourself and your family all dressed in blue and share it on social media using the #WearBlueDay2020 hashtag.
· Follow the Children’s Advocacy Center of Southwest Michigan on Facebook and Instagram for tips, resources, and free online trainings all about the prevention of child abuse.
· Have your children/students create their own pinwheel, the National symbol for abuse prevention, and tape it to a street-facing window or door (see attached coloring sheet).
· Please consider donating to the Children’s Advocacy Center of Southwest Michigan here.