Woman suffers burns from chemical reaction involving drain cleaner

Posted at 4:41 PM, Aug 06, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-07 12:47:01-04

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — A Grand Rapids woman is warning others after she says a trip to the store for drain cleaner ended in chemical burns.

Markita Ogilvie went to buy drain cleaner from a local Menards and ended up purchasing a product called Santeen in hopes of clearing her bathroom sink. She says the product was near the other drain cleaners like Drano and assumed it would work the same way.

However, Santeen is mostly made of sulfuric acid. The instructions say to use gloves and glasses while using the product and to put a bucket over the top to prevent spray.

Ogilvie didn’t realize that until it was too late.

“The sink just started — it was smoking so I kind of looked over like ‘what’s going on?’ because that’s different, you don’t see that, and it literally just volcano-erupted on me,” she said.

She said the chemicals made her skin feel like it was peeling off her body.

Ogilvie feels the product shouldn’t be available to just any consumer, so something like this doesn’t happen to someone else.

“It should be somewhere in a different part of the store where have to have a plumber’s license or contract licence or something,” said Ogilvie.  “It should not just be readily available.”