Burn victims sue Conagra after cans of cooking spray explode

Posted at 12:36 PM, May 07, 2019

DETROIT (AP) — Six consumers are suing the maker of Pam cooking spray, saying they were severely burned when cans of the spray exploded.

The plaintiffs' attorney, J. Craig Smith, says some larger containers of Pam and similar cooking sprays made by Conagra have a faulty vent system in the bottom that makes them more prone to explosion.

If you check the bottom of your cooking spray can, you can easily pick out the vents. They will be in a u-shaped imprint and there will be four of them in a square configuration. Other cans without the vents are safe to continue to use.

The larger cans — 10 ounces and above — are generally sold at warehouse stores like Costco as well as Walmart and Amazon. They're often used in restaurants.

Chicago-based Conagra says its cooking sprays are safe when used properly. Warning labels on the cans tell users not to store them near heat or open flame.

Conagra says the venting system was eliminated during a product redesign earlier this year. However, cans with the design are still on the shelves and have not yet been recalled. This is the main motive for the suit, to get the remaining defective cans out of consumers hands.