Police: 8-year-old ‘person of interest’ in toddler’s daycare death

Posted at 11:21 AM, Apr 17, 2017
and last updated 2017-04-17 23:09:32-04

MUSKEGON, Mich. — An 8-year-old is believed to be involved in the death of a 1-year-old boy who was left unsupervised in a home day care.

Police officials say the toddler's body was found concealed in a bedroom Friday morning.

An 8-year-old is being called a 'person of interest.' All witnesses in the case are children, police officials said.

The exact cause of the infant's death is not yet known.

Korey Brown, 1, was found by his mother when she went to pick him up from the daycare on Friday.

Bryanna Reasonover told FOX 17 Sunday night she found her son's body in a playpen when she went to pick up three children she had dropped off the previous night. She said her son's body was covered in bruises and bite marks, which police later confirmed.

“I think another kid at the day care did it,” says Bryanna Reasonover, the baby’s mom. “I’m pretty sure another kid at the day care did it. Why would you do something like that to a 1-year-old?”

The 8-year-old 'person of interest' was taken to a hospital for a mental evaluation.

Police say the owner of the daycare is cooperating with investigators.

Bryanna says she's angry that an adult at the day care was not supervising the children and did not protect her child from harm.

“Bruises and bite marks on his face. Bite marks on his fingers. It was bad.” Says Reasonover. “An adult wasn’t there supervising as they were supposed to. But I’m pretty sure another kid from a day care did it.”

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help cover Korey Brown's funeral costs.

LARA, the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs reports that there had been no previous complaints against the daycare.

In regards to Ms. Keysha Collin’s child care license, there have been no complaints made regarding her license.  Ms. Collins was issued an original group license on November 18, 2016.

We have not taken action against her license as of yet: the investigation is on-going.  LARA is working with CPS-MIC and law enforcement as we proceed.