Freeze-Thaw: Where do you report potholes?

Posted at 8:47 AM, Jan 25, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-25 08:47:08-05

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Temperatures above freezing are always appreciated in Michigan, but the freeze-thaw cycle creates conditions that breed potholes. Water that gets into cracks in pavement expands when it freezes, and when temperatures warm up, the ice melts, and pounding from traffic erodes the pavement and, voila! Potholes.

Local governments and the Michigan Department of Transportation try to keep up with the suspension-damaging holes, but they need help from drivers. Here’s where to report potholes:

  • Grand Rapids: Use this link or call 311.
  • MDOT: For interstates, “US” highways, and state highways (I, US, and M highways) use this link or call 888-296-4546.
  • Holland: Within city limits, call 616-928-2400.
  • Ottawa County: Contact the Ottawa County Road Commission at 616-842-5400.
  • Muskegon: In the city, use this link or call 231-724-4100.
  • Kalamazoo County: Use this link.
  • Calhoun County: Use this link or call 800-781-5512.

Many government bodies use SeeClickFix apps, such as Kalamazoo and Muskegon counties. Download for iOS or Android.

Birth of a Pothole