Mercury spilled at Battle Creek home

Posted at 11:33 AM, Sep 24, 2015
and last updated 2015-09-25 21:47:15-04

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. -- A chemical spill in Battle Creek Thursday morning prompted a response from HAZMAT crews, according to the Calhoun County Sheriff's Department Dispatch.

The spill happened at 73 S. Union Street just before 11 a.m. Thursday, dispatchers said.

Officials say that 16 ounces of mercury was spilled on a small porch on the back of the house. Two technicians were able to contain the spill to one small area.  They are waiting for an environmental company to come and take it away.  It is unknown where the mercury came from.

Two people were being isolated and decontaminated.  A third was being pulled from school to be tested. A dog tested positive and was decontaminated.

Mercury can be very toxic if inhaled.