Fire at Portage motel under investigation

Posted at 11:18 AM, Sep 13, 2015
and last updated 2015-09-13 11:18:40-04

PORTAGE, Mich. — The Portage Department of Public Safety – Fire Division is investigating a fire that displaced a family of four from their motel room.

Portage Fire says that crews responded to a report of a fire at the Airport Inn – located on 2333 Helen in Portage – around 6 AM Sunday morning.

The fire was confined to a small area of one room and was quickly extinguished. Smoke damage affected both rooms of the unit, forcing the occupants – a family of four – to be relocated by the Red Cross into temporary housing.

Nobody was injured as a result of the fire. The fire is under investigation but is believed to have been accidental.

Damages are currently estimated at being around $8,500.