News

Actions

Hot coals set Walker house on fire

Posted at 10:59 AM, Jul 04, 2015

UPDATE: WALKER, Mich. (7/5) — Fire strikes the same house twice in the same weekend at 4067 Shannon St.

Walker Fire Department says that a hot spot reignited after yesterday’s fire.

Fire crews entered the home to make sure all the hot spots were put out.

No further damage was done to the home today.

WALKER, Mich. (7/4) — The Grand Rapids and Walker Fire Departments arrived on the scene of a house fire Saturday morning on the 4000 block of Shannon Street.

Captain Hanson from the Walker Fire Department said that the fire was caused by hot coals that were thrown in the homeowner’s trash bin the previous night. The coals sparked a fire today at around 10:00 AM.

A neighbor says that the homeowner’s fire alarm didn’t go off. She ran to the house and alerted them of what was going on. Everyone in the house was evacuated safely.

photo 1

Captain Hanson also said that this type of incident is most commonly seen around this time of year due to BBQs and cooking with coal.