Two years later, family searches for answers after daughter is murdered in front of two year-old son

Posted at 11:29 PM, Dec 15, 2014
and last updated 2014-12-15 23:29:44-05

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.-- Justice delayed for the family of Eve'Vana Galloway, who was shot and killed two years ago in her Grand Rapids apartment in front of her now 4-year-old son.

“This is the day my daughter had got murdered on. It happened right in front of her son. We just want to know who did it,” said Evelyn Galloway, her mother.

The anniversary of her death is a somber reminder of a murder investigation that to this day remains unsolved.

“I just really want somebody to come out. I’m tired of holding it in. Her son wants her all the time. Somebody has to know something. Please somebody say something.  Just call in or whatever you got to do. I know somebody knows something,” pleaded Evelyn.

Galloway's family held a candlelight vigil on Monday night. They say they are still trying to cope with the fact that their loved one is gone. Evelyn says what makes it even harder, is the fact that no one has been held responsible for her daughter’s death.

“I just want my daughter back,” said Evelyn.

Eve'Vana Galloway, known as "Nay Nay" to family and friends, was found shot to death in her apartment off Dorchester Avenue on the city's Southwest side.  The day it happened, Eve'Vana's sister called her cell phone, and her then 2-year-old son picked up the phone.   Family says he kept saying words and phrases like “mom is dead”, and “gun.”   They rushed to her apartment only to find the police. Authorities told them Eve'Vana had been murdered. The family says they keep in contact with the detectives regularly, waiting for justice.

The Galloway murder was 1 of 9 homicides in Grand Rapids during the winter of 2012, and the only one that remains unsolved.  Though no charges have been filed, police have eluded to who they think may be responsible in his case.

The same week Galloway was murdered two years ago, three other crimes occurred: a robbery and murder of Galloway's ex-boyfriend, Madhi Hayes, who was killed 5 days after her. They all had one thing in common. In court, authorities said shell casings at the scene matched casings in all three crimes.

Royale Runyon was convicted of second-degree murder in February of this year after a two-week trial and half-hour jury deliberation regarding the slaying of Mahdi Hayes. Although Grand Rapids police have told Fox 17 News in the past that Runyon is a likely suspect in Galloway’s murder, he's yet to be charged.