WRIGHT TWP., Mich. (June 18, 2014) — The family who owns Kluting and Sons farm believes lightning is to blame for sparking a fire in their barn Wednesday morning. It happened on Roosevelt near 20th Avenue in Wright Township.
The scorched hay and burn marks to the barn ceiling were the only visible signs of damage from the fire.
“If the fire department wouldn’t have gotten here as fast as they did, it would have been gone in a hurry,” said Mike Kluting.
Kluting said his brother-in-law drove by around 7 a.m. and saw smoke coming from the top of the barn.
Within minutes, fire crews got to the farm and knocked the small amount of flames out fast.
“There was quite a bit of hay from last year in it,” Kluting explained.
“In the basement, we have about 50 head of beef cattle in there. Fortunately we didn’t have to get them out.”
Kluting said aside from getting a bath from all the water four fire departments poured on the flames, the cows were fine.
The family is still able to operate and will have to replace that part of the roof, but is grateful the fire didn’t happen any earlier, or no one would have seen it.