KENTWOOD, Mich. (June 4, 2014) – It’s National CPR and AED Awareness week, and a Kentwood mother is sharing her story of why it’s so important to be trained.
It was a typical dinner at the Schneider house that turned frantic when Cristian, 8, began choking.
“His eyes got bigger and the hand went up to the throat and I said are you choking and he nodded and he was obviously getting scared,” Tammy Schneider said.
She sprung into action quickly giving the Heimlich maneuver. Schneider says if it had happened just one week earlier, the results could have been very different.
She and her coworkers at the Kent District Library had just been training by Pro Trainings on CPR, which encompasses all airway obstructions including the Heimlich.
“We all did the training and I had just finished doing it and am so, so grateful they had us doing it,” Schneider said.
It’s simple knowledge we hope we’ll never have to use, but will never regret knowing.
“This person’s in need, what are the simple steps I need to do now to make a difference and if I can buy some time and give this person a second chance at life, that`s what I`m going to do,” said Roy Shaw CEO of Pro Trainings.
Tammy and Cristian hope their story serves as both a warning and inspiration for other families.
“My mom saved my life by doing that,” Cristian said.
Pro Trainings offers free CPR training on their website.