‘A Monster Took Him,’ Family Speaks Out About Suspect Accused Of Beating Infant To Death

Posted at 6:59 PM, Jun 02, 2014
and last updated 2014-06-02 20:06:55-04

COLDWATER, Mich. (June 2, 2014)–The family of a 7-month-old boy who was beaten to death is speaking out about the suspect.

On Thursday, first responders were called to a home in Coldwater. There, they found Carson Burm, 7 months, unresponsive.

Steven Shaw

The boy was airlifted to Bronson Hospital in Kalamazoo and died the next day.

Burm’s grandfather, Brian Kelsey, said he never suspected his grandson was in any danger.

“He was a 7-month-old baby. He was happy, he was cuddly, ya know, he loved to be cuddled,” Kelsey said.  “He was a wonderful, little boy and unfortunately we’re never going to see what he’ll grow up to be.”

On Monday, Steven Eric Shaw, was charged with homicide in baby Carson’s death. The Branch County courtroom was filled with Carson’s family watching as Shaw was arraigned via video.

Shaw, according to family, is the boyfriend of Carson’s mother. Kelsey said the alleged abuse took place after Carson’s mother went to work and left him and his older sister in Shaw’s care.

According to court documents, the call to 911 came in about 2 hours after Shaw was left alone with the children. Family said Shaw is the one who called.

While at the hospital, it was discovered that Carson had several fractures, a snapped spine and his brain was swollen, according to court records.

“A monster took him.,” Kelsey said. “More so, than just shaken baby syndrome. This man beat him like a man would beat another man. Nobody should beat anyone this way let alone a 7-month-old baby…For what…what was he doing…was he crying…was he hungry?”

During a custody hearing held on Friday, Kelsey said Carson’s older sister was taken into protective custody. He said during that hearing, he also learned that this might not be the first time Carson was abused. He said a child protective services worker took the stand and spoke about interviewing Carson’s mother on three other occasions.

“If CPS felt compelled to interview her three times why did CPS leave them kids in that home….three times…come on, I mean really? You are aware there’s something wrong with this gentlemen, if not you wouldn’t have interviewed three times, but yet you still leave my grandkids in the home for this to happen.”

Kelsey said Carson was recently taken to the hospital after his mother discovered he was bleeding from the ear.

“Supposedly, at that time he had a busted ear drum or a real bad ear infection,” Kelsey said.  “The trauma surgeon said that bleeding from the ear is a sign of head trauma not an ear infection. So, there was a misdiagnoses at the Coldwater hospital also, so there’s two times that could’ve been prevented and saved my grandchild’s life.”

A picture that was taken while Carson was in the hospital shows his father holding the little boy as he remained on life support.

“What do you tell your 22, 23-year-old son who’s sitting in the hospital knowing that his son’s lying there but never coming back? What do you say to him? There’s nothing you can say to him,” Kelsey said.”

Kelsey said Carson is now saving the lives of others. He said Carson’s father donated the little boy’s organs.

“My son asked, ya know, why? What is the purpose of this? And ya know, we tried to comfort him, ya know, maybe this was Carson’s purpose in life.  He saved five other people. There’s five happy families out there because of Carson,” Kelsey said.

The judge denied Shaw bond. He’s expected to be back in court on June 12.

A memorial fund has been put into place to help to help the family. You can visit that page by clicking HERE.

Family said a fundraiser will be held on Saturday, June 7 at the Butler Motor Speedway, located at 1031 Clarendon Rd. 49082. The race will start at 7 p.m. For more information contact Karen Garrett at 269-209-3984.