News

Actions

Health Dept: Common Bacteria Caused Illness at Muskegon Co. Restaurant

Posted at 11:04 AM, Apr 11, 2014
bonickis

Bonicki’s Restaurant and Sports Bistro, Muskegon, Mich.

MUSKEGON COUNTY, Mich. (April 11, 2014) — The Muskegon County Health Department said a common foodborne illness-causing bacteria is to blame for a string of sicknesses at Bonicki’s Restaurant and Sports Bistro, 1891 E Apple Ave.

The health department said a sample tested from the restaurant showed the presence of clostridium perfringens, which is found in soils, sediment and the intestines of animals and humans.

“The bacteria typically causes illness when foods are served after improper storage or held at inadequate storage temperatures,” a release from the health department says.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention says the bacteria is one of the most common causes of foodborne illness in the United States with nearly one million cases each  year.

The investigation began after seven customers told the health department they got sick after eating at Bonicki’s between April 3 and April 6.

Ken Kraus, health officer at Muskegon County, said the department is working with the restaurant to improve food storage practices.