Records Show Deadly Standoff Suspect Attacked Pregnant Woman in 2007

Posted at 3:42 PM, Nov 22, 2013
and last updated 2013-11-22 22:41:40-05
2007 Oceana County mugshot of Duncan Willis

2007 Oceana County mugshot of Duncan Willis

MECOSTA TOWNSHIP, Mich. – The man who was arrested following a deadly standoff near Big Rapids Friday morning has a violent history.

FOX 17 checked into 27-year-old Duncan Willis’ past. His criminal records show several convictions including misdemeanor assaults in Lake County in 2007 and 2008, a misdemeanor assault in Big Rapids in 2011, domestic violence second offense in Big Rapids in 2012 and domestic violence in Oceana County in 2007.

In 2007, Willis was charged with a misdemeanor of domestic violence in Oceana County involving his pregnant ex-girlfriend.

The police report states the victim’s’s father “had arrived on scene with the keys to the residence and he stated his daughter locked the doors and we had permission to go inside and search the residence for Mr. Willis. We then went inside and found Mr. Willis in the bathroom, sitting on the tub. We then handcuffed him, double locked them, checked them for tightness, and we placed him under arrest for the warrants.”

The report goes on to say, “She stated they got into an argument because he thought she was cheating on him and this escalated to the point where he took a cord and started to hit her on the back and the arms.”

The victim said the attack “happened in the bedroom and while on the bed she rolled off, trying to get away from him and hit her head on some type of furniture. She said after this she got away from him and ran to the next-door neighbor’s where she spoke with (a witness) and stayed there for approximately 20 minutes.”

According to the police report, during an interview with detectives the victim said Willis beat her with a cord. A witness in the case told investigators Willis’ girlfriend and had “marks all over her neck and arms” and others said that she “had a large bump on her head.”

The police report states the couple had two kids together with one on the way.

Willis was arrested and plead guilty to the charge. He was fined and sentenced to serve six months of probation.