Baby Saved After Swallowing Pacifier

Posted at 10:12 PM, Oct 17, 2013
and last updated 2013-10-17 22:12:39-04

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich- A baby in Metro Detroit had a close call, after swallowing his entire pacifier.

WXYZ reports that it happened in August, while 5-month-old Cameron was at daycare. Officials there say he had been bouncing around, then fell back and pushed the pacifier into his mouth. The baby was rushed to Botsford Hospital, where doctors immediately got to work.

“I’ve never seen it in my ten years of practicing,” said Dr. Matt Warpinski from Botsford.

“They talked to me and they said, we don’t know if he’s going to make it, but we’re going to do everything we can,” said Cameron’s mother, Adrienne Herrick.

The emergency team rushed to get little Cameron oxygen and even put a needle into his neck to help him breathe.

While removing the pacifier, doctors say pieces of it broke off, and Cameron was put into a medically induced coma.

“Everywhere in my mind I was thinking he’s going to make it through this because if he doesn’t I’m not going to make it,” said Herrick.

Cameron woke up from his coma a few days later, on his mother’s birthday.

“So I got to hold him on my birthday, which is the best birthday gift I could have ever gotten my entire life,” said Herrick.

Cameron is now 7-months-old and fully recovered from his medical scare. His mother is thanking doctors for saving her little boy’s life.

To see WXYZ’s original report, just click here.