Following Little Girl’s Death, Court Docs Reveal Rocky Family History

Posted at 6:31 PM, Aug 15, 2013
and last updated 2013-08-15 20:32:44-04

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The Kent County Prosecutor has authorized murder charges against 21-year-old DeShawn Threats in the death of his 2-year-old daughter.

Wednesday, Zaeyana Driggs-Threats was pronounced dead at her home. Autopsy results show she died from blunt force trauma to her abdomen.

As those homicide charges were coming down, DeShawn was in family court Thursday afternoon.  There, he learned during a neglect hearing, that he lost custody of his other child, DeShawn Jr., to the Department of Human Services.

The little boy’s mother, Darci Jo Driggs, also lost custody of him.

“We’re placing DeShawn Threats Jr. with the Department of Human Services with the parent’s permission,” said Deborah McNabb, Circuit Court Referee.

Darci also lost custody of the other son she shared with a different father.

Releasing Cameron to the care of his father, Rodger, with the permission of the department of human services. Mother’s parenting time is to be supervised by the order of the court,” said McNabb.

Meanwhile, court documents reveal that DeShawn Threats shared a rocky relationship with Driggs.  The two often fought, according to neighbors.

Personal protection orders reveal more about the allegations Darci had made against him. She filed for a protection order in September of 2012, saying “DeShawn and I have been off and on again for about two years  He has been arrested many times for domestic violence he can’t control his temper.”

“He chokes me, slaps me, pushes me.  I have a small bald spot in the back of my head from rippin’ my hair out.”

At that time, Darci was living at a different address and hadn’t yet moved to 616 4th street Northwest.

At some point after the first protection order, it appeared the two moved into the home at 616 4th Street Northwest.

She later filed paperwork in June, 2013, asking for another protection order from the courts.

“Me and DeShawn have been off and on for about 2 ½ yrs.  We have a couple domestics.  I have tried to work things out for the kids, but he won’t change.  He is always threatening me and my home.  He slaps me, pushes me and tells me he’s gonna kill me,” wrote Darci.

“Just this morning he grabbed a hammer and came at me with it –like he was going to hit me in my face.  I’m scared of him, and scared he will end up killing me or that he might start hurting our children,” said Darci.

Then, on Aug. 14, someone called medics to report that Zaeyana Driggs-Threats wasn’t breathing.

Darci rushed out of the courtroom without saying whether she would fight to get her other two children back. Her attorney said they had no statement.