Greenville Gathers To Pray For Toddler on Life Support

Posted at 9:36 PM, Apr 03, 2013
and last updated 2013-04-04 05:32:13-04

GREENVILLE, Mich.- Friends and complete strangers came together in Greenville Wednesday night to pray for a 2-year-old on life support.

Brooklyn Weimer was rushed to the hospital on March 24 after first responders found her suffering from severe injuries at a home on West Grove Street.

Police are investigating whether or not those injuries came from abuse.  So far, no charges have been filed.

Court documents obtained by Fox 17 News show Benjamin Wilkins was at the home when Brooklyn was hurt.  Those documents also say Wilkins is the boyfriend of Samantha Slater, Brooklyn’s mother.  Wilkins is currently in the Montcalm County Jail on a probation violation.

Those documents also show Wilkins waited more than an hour to call for help for little Brooklyn.  The documents say he told police he and Slater didn’t want to get DHS involved.

Court documents show there are past incidents alleging abuse against Brooklyn.  In May 2012, Samantha Slater lost custody of Brooklyn and her sister.  The documents also say Brooklyn had a clear hand print bruise on her face along with scratches and a cut lip.  That’s when the girl’s father, Brent Slater, gained full custody.  But, just in February, the court granted joint custody to both parents.

Wilkins says in the documents that on March 24 he put Brooklyn on time-out in the bathroom.  Five minutes later, he says, he heard a thud and found Brooklyn unresponsive.  He says he called Spectrum Hospital and claimed his friend jumped off the roof and was unconscious but breathing and asked what he should do.  The nurse who spoke with Wilkins thought the call was suspicious and called central dispatch, who then called Wilkins back.  He admitted to them that he made up the story about his friend jumping off the roof and said the injury really happened while they were wrestling.  He also told the dispatcher his friend was now conscious.

A half hour later, more than an hour after the initial incident, Wilkins called 911 for an ambulance for a two-year-old child.  Brooklyn arrived at the hospital with intracranial bleeding, brain swelling, and liver lacerations and was put on life support.