Firefighters spent half-a-day fighting a fire and spraying hotspots. They believe the fire started in the kitchen.
It’s also believed the dog’s barking saved the couple.
“The home is a complete loss. It`s gone. I couldn`t even begin to guess at the value,” DeVos said.
He lives on the spacious 85 acre property in rural Algoma Township with his wife and his dog. He recalled the fire that forced the couple out of their home at 3 a.m.
“By the time I woke up, to the smoke detectors, my wife was hollering. I went out the front door and she went out the back door,” DeVos said.
DeVos said he ran down the road to call 911. The couple`s cell phones and the rest of their possessions were left burning inside. The home was engulfed.
Overcome by smoke, he said his wife sat inside one of their vehicles until firefighters and paramedics arrived.
“I know she was transported via ambulance from the scene right away, in the beginning of the call and she`s being treated,” Michael Falk, Algoma Township Deputy Fire Chief said.
She suffered smoke inhalation and stayed at the hospital with the couple’s daughters. DeVos said she has a fighting chance to recover, thanks to his best friend.
“Somebody said the dog was barking,” DeVos said.
The charred remains made up more than just a home. It was the office for Devos`s business, Michigan Mobile Services. It’s a mobile home moving company.
“They managed to save most of the paperwork,” DeVos said. He added, “They were able to do that which is pretty important.”
Firefighters also helped save a couple of his vehicles, although several others were destroyed. Three of his cars included two classic Corvettes and a Porsche.
Friends stopped by throughout the day to check on DeVos and at least one friend brought him clothes.
“Got a lot of friends I guess. Good friends,” he chuckled.
DeVos said he does have a place to stay for the night, and he plans to rebuild.