- Michigan lawmakers are finalizing an agreement to legalize online sports betting and internet gambling. The development would be landmark in a state with a lot of gambling options already... like the lottery, three commercial casinos in Detroit, and 24 tribal casinos statewide. Votes on the measure could happen as early as this week. This would make Michigan one of just a handful of states that allow wagers over the internet.
- Obsessed with fire trucks? How about owning one? An auction is offering you the chance to win your very own. The Battle Creek Fire Dept. says there are four units available. They've all been in service for several years but they're mostly being used for training and backup. We're told they've all been properly maintained and are in great condition. The online auction started this morning and runs thru 8 p.m. Just head to Biddgery.com to place your bid.
- It's tough to upstage Santa at a holiday parade but one firefighter in Lowell found a pretty good way to do it on Saturday. That's firefighter Donnie Schaffer getting down on one knee during the Lowell Christmas parade. He and his now fiance Taylor have been together for six years. And they are now looking forward to many more. A big congratulations to them.
- If you're considering welcoming a new pet home for the holidays, a West Michigan-based foundation is hoping you'll choose this weekend to do so. The Bissell Pet Foundation is holding another Empty The Shelters event on Saturday. The foundation will allow more than 100 shelters in 25 states to offer pet adoptions for free or reduced rates. There are 48 locations in Michigan taking part in the promotion. You can find participating locations on the foundation's website.
- US women's soccer star, Megan Rapinoe is Sports Illustrated's sportsperson of the year. Rapinoe graced the cover of Sports Illustrated in her iconic purple hair holding a sledge hammer, showing the world her grit. In addition to winning two World Cup championships alongside her women's national team, Rapinoe has also become an advocate for women's rights through her fight for equal pay.
Posted at 11:36 AM, Dec 10, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-10 13:06:00-05
Copyright 2019 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.