NewsLocal NewsSouth MIVan Buren

Actions

Kitchen fire closes South Haven restaurant just days after reopening

200620Clementines0026.JPG
200620Clementines0021.JPG
200620Clementines0014.JPG
Posted at 4:01 PM, Jun 20, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-20 16:01:26-04

SOUTH HAVEN, Mich. — Clementine's in South Haven closed Saturday afternoon for a kitchen fire just days after the state allowed them to reopen.

South Haven Area Emergency Services (SHAES) were alerted to the smell of smoke by an employee just before 1:30 p.m. Smoke had gotten into an area one floor above the restaurant and fire was found in the wall behind a broiler in the first floor kitchen.

The fire was quickly put out, and everyone inside was safely evacuated, but one SHAES member had to be treated for heat exhaustion. The outdoor temperature at the time was 91 degrees.

The downtown restaurant on the corner of Phoenix Street and Center Street had reopened for the first time since the pandemic on Monday, June 15th. There is no word on how long they will be closed after the fire.