NewsLocal NewsLakeshoreMuskegon

Actions

'We're here to stay' : New CEO optimistic about Muskegon Family Care's future

Plans to stay open for the forseeable future
daniel oglesby.jpg
Posted at 8:33 PM, Mar 02, 2020
and last updated 2020-03-02 20:33:39-05

MUSKEGON HEIGHTS, Mich. — A health care facility in Muskegon County had plans to close its doors at the end of this month, but in the past few days they hired a new leader who’s much more optimistic.

Muskegon Family Care’s new CEO Daniel Oglesby says they are staying open for the foreseeable future.

The healthcare facility has struggled financially, former staff members are now being investigated for embezzlement.

Oglesby says he’s confident they can restore their reputation and finances and continue to serve the nearly 20,000 low-income patients who rely on the facility.

I want to tell all the patients out there who are eagerly waiting as to our future and whether or not will be here. We are going to be here, we’re here to stay and you are going to have the same quality of service if not better by staying with us,” Oglesby said.

“It is open, it is vibrant, I have an open sign which says we are accepting patients,” Oglesby added.

Over the past month, the facility has been a bastion of confusion for patients, who were told the facility would be shutting its doors indefinitely, and later at the end of March.

During all this, dozens of employees were terminated or left on their own.

“I believe the leadership at the time and the management at the time, decided it was in the best interest of this organization to transition and transition by closing its doors,” Oglesby explained.

“When I arrived I was able to see that first of all, there was a lot of activity and patient activity, providers were here, and it was vibrant, people seem to appreciate the quality,” he added.

Oglesby was hired by the board on Thursday, he was part of a team that helped form the Spectrum Health System.

“My job is to come in, stabilize the ship, move it into calm waters and lets being to rebuild our passengers, rebuild the credibility that we once enjoyed,” he explained.

At the center of his plan is to create local partnerships, which he says is critical to build the facility back up.

“The debt is not as large as I thought it would be and the opportunity to build revenue over expenses is going to get greater as we move back into the full complement of services that we had less than two months ago,” he explained.

In the meantime, their facilities are open, and Oglesby is encouraging patients to continue receiving care through them.

“Not only are we back, we’re going to be better and faster and more credible in the future, as what we put in additional resources and systems as we make this operation one the community can be extremely proud of,” he said.

As we mentioned there are providers that have left, the facility says they are open to answering any questions patients may have.

So far, no charges have been issued in the ongoing embezzlement investigation.