NewsLocal NewsLakeshoreMuskegon

Actions

Attic fire displaces 5 apartments

WXMI_Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 9:19 PM, Aug 05, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-05 21:23:06-04

MUSKEGON, Mich. — The tenants of 5 Muskegon apartments cannot stay in their homes after an electrical fire Wednesday evening.

When they arrived the fire couldn't be seen, but Musekgon Fire Department Deputy Director, Jay Paulson, says crews were met by a basketball-sized fireball when they tried to enter the attic.

The Muskegon Professional Firefighters Union - IAFF Local 370 posted a video of the scene near 3rd Street and Monroe Avenue:

The initial investigation shows the fire had been burning for some time before it was noticed. The Deputy Director did note the building recently underwent an extensive remodel, including adding new cellulose insulation, which tends to slow the spread of fire through a building.

Paulson told FOX 17 firefighters quickly confined the flames to the attic and a hallway and no one was injured, but they had to shut the power off to the building until the damage and wiring issue could be addressed.