LEE TOWNSHIP, Mich. — An Allegan County Sheriff’s Office deputy was able to get a woman out of her home when she didn’t notice a fire downstairs in her home Thursday night.
The deputy was patrolling Lee Township when he noticed flames coming from the chimney area of a home on 56th Street south of 109th Avenue, according to a news release Friday.
Believing there might be occupants inside, the deputy activated his siren and overhead lights as he pulled into the driveway to get attention and alert anyone who might be asleep or unaware of the danger.
The deputy then began knocking on the door and was about to forcefully enter when someone came to the door.
The woman – who lives alone – asked what was wrong, as she was unaware of the fire.
After helping the woman get her dog, the deputy got her out of the home.
Lee Township Fire Department arrived and extinguished the flames, but the home appears to be a total loss.
The source of the fire seems to have been a wood/pellet burning stove, according to the fire department.
The woman had been upstairs, getting ready for bed, and had not noticed the fire or smoke until she went to investigate the noise from the siren and the banging on the door.