More than 100 arrested as large crowd defies curfew in downtown Detroit on Sunday night

Posted at 12:56 PM, May 31, 2020

More than 100 people were arrested as protesters defied the 8 p.m. curfew in downtown Detroit on Sunday night.

It was the largest number of people arrested in the protests that took place over three days. A majority were from metro Detroit, according to police, and two were from out of state.

During the protests outside of police headquarters, police fired off tear gas into a large crowd and several were arrested at the scene. The curfew was lifted at 5 a.m. but will go into effect again at 8 p.m. Monday.

Of the more than 100 arrested, 28 are from the City of Detroit and the two from other states were from Washington D.C. and Tennessee.

Other cities in metro Detroit where people were arrested from include: Ferndale, Superior Township, Ann Arbor, Macomb Township, Sterling Heights, Orion Township, Clinton Township, Harrison Township, Lincoln Park and Farmington.

Related: Things remained calm on the first night of curfew in Grand Rapids

Protests had been peaceful in Detroit as crowds gathered and marched throughout the day.

PHOTOS: Detroit police arrest protesters

Several people could be seen being arrested at the scene. The area has been cleared.

The curfew was announced Sunday, when Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan and Detroit Police Chief James Craig addressed the late-night tensions that erupted during protests in downtown Detroit Saturday night.

In a press conference Sunday afternoon, Mayor Duggan and Chief Craig focused on the number of non-Detroiters attending protests in the city. To address the concern for non-peaceful demonstrations, Duggan announced the 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew for the city.

The mayor brought in several Detroit leaders, such as Rev. Wendell Anthony and Dr. Darrius with WJLB, to bring a message to protesters in an effort to calm agitation felt across the city.

With the curfew in place, no one is allowed on public streets or in public areas during the curfew unless they are working, the mayor said.

Hundreds gathered in the city Saturday to protest the death of George Floyd who died at the hands of an officer in Minneapolis.

According to Detroit Police, 84 people were arrested during Saturday night's protest. Twenty-one of the 84 people arrested live in Detroit and two people from out of state were also arrested.

Related: Photos show protesters clash with police on second night of unrest in Detroit

Earlier on Saturday, protests were peaceful - but as the night went on, tensions began to rise.

Chief Craig said some protesters were throwing bricks at officers. Tear gas was used to push back protesters.

RELATED: Tear gas deployed, protesters face off with police in downtown Detroit

Another protest is set for Sunday afternoon in the city.