HARTFORD, Mich. — The Van Buren/Cass District Health Department updated the public on its health protocols following the Michigan Supreme Court’s ruling last week.
The court ruled on Friday that Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s use of emergency powers past April 30 were considered unconstitutional.
The Van Buren/Cass District Health Department said that health and safety protocols geared to curb COVID-19 “have not changed.”
“We encourage our community to respect both the court’s decision, the emergency order and the advice of medical experts by continuing with important COVID-19 prevention measures,” they said.
The department intends to continue communication with the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services on how to best protect the public from COVID-19.
“It is our fervent hope that our communities, businesses and schools continue to abide by the prevention measures that were put in place – like wearing face masks, adhering to social distancing guidelines, disinfecting surfaces, washing hands, staying home when sick – and that community members honor the policies individual businesses, organizations and schools maintain,” they said.