LANSING, Mich. — MDHHS is issuing a new epidemic order reopening indoor dining in the state on Feb. 1.
Earlier this month, the state extended its restrictions on bars and restaurants through that date.
Restaurants will be limited to 25% capacity and have a 10 p.m. curfew.
Concessions can also resume at casinos, movie theaters and stadiums.
Indoor contact sports remain banned under the order, further delaying high school basketball, wrestling, and competitve cheer seasons.
The order will last three weeks, through Feb. 21.
COVID-19 cases plateaued this week for the third week in a row.
“The pause has worked. The efforts we have made together to protect our families, frontline workers and hospitals have dramatically reduced cases and we have saved lives. Now, we are confident that starting February 1, restaurants can resume indoor dining with safety measures in place,” Whitmer said. “Michigan continues to be a national leader in fighting this virus, and we must continue working to keep it that way. One of the most important things Michiganders can do is to make a plan to get the safe and effective vaccine when it’s available to you. And as always, mask up and maintain six feet of social distancing. We will end this pandemic together.”
Khaldun said test positivity has declined to 6.8% and just under 10% of inpatient beds at hospitals in the state are being used for COVID-19 patients.
Case rates have also delined to 225 per million people.
She also warned that although Michiganders will soon have the option to eat at restaurants again, gathering indoors without masks on is one of the riskier activities during the pandemic.
Continuing to be careful is especially important because of the new, more contagious variant of the virus being found in the state, Khaldun said.
SEE MORE: CORONAVIRUS IN WEST MICHIGAN