Actions

Kent County responds to court ruling on executive orders

Kent County Health Department
Posted at 1:15 PM, Oct 05, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-05 13:15:41-04

KENT COUNTY, Mich. — The Kent County Health Department has responded to last week’s Michigan Supreme Court ruling on Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's executive orders.

The court’s ruling states that Gov. Whitmer was not authorized to utilize emergency powers in response to the COVID-19 pandemic after April 30.

The Kent County Health Department says in a Facebook post yesterday they are working closely with the state and local health officials to determine ways that respect the ruling while also keeping communities safe from the virus.

“It is important for public health agencies to responsibly use the legal authorities that have been provided by legislative action,” the department says. “Actions such as orders for isolation and quarantine are not affected by the Supreme Court’s ruling. These actions are authorized under the Michigan Public Health Code, a law that was enacted by the Michigan Legislature in 1978.”

The Kent County Health Department recommends the continued use of face masks indoors and social distancing.

“We cannot beat COVID-19 and all of its related destruction unless we pull together and do the simple things that slow the spread of this virus,” the department says.