Physical, financial, and social. These are three layers of how the pandemic has affected so many people. On top of it all, a mood-changing winter season is upon us, causing mental health to take a toll.
A way to combat the winter blues is to exercise. Exercising has been proven to be just as effective as medication to fight negative emotions.
Dr. Treg Thomas, Clinical Psychologist with Spectrum Health, shares tips about exercising to help fight off depression and anxiety:
1) Focus on why exercise is important to you.
2) Focus on the process, not just the outcome, and set reasonable goals.
3) Be flexible and avoid an “all or nothing” approach to exercise.
4) Find activities or exercises that you enjoy or find a way to make exercise more enjoyable!
5) Try making exercise social.
6) Take a realistic look at why exercise has been difficult in the past and create a plan for setting yourself up for success.
For more information, visit spectrumhealth.org.