1. There's such a thing as "going for a swim," and there's "going for an epic swim." The second one relates to six swimmers who swam their way across Lake Michigan for a cause.
Jon Ornee, and five of his friends swam from Two Rivers, Wisconsin to Ludington, Michigan, in under 24 hours. Its an effort to raise money For The Love Of Water organizations, which focuses on protecting and preserving the Great Lakes.
They did it in 30-minute increments, relay style. It took them about 19 hours with several safety measures in place.
All of them, either grew up, or live in Michigan, and say it's been a joy to have Lake Michigan in their backyard. Now they
want to do what they can protect it.
To support the cause, visit epicswim2020.com.
2. Kids in Muskegon are getting a first-hand look at what it takes to work in public safety through the Youth Academy.
Wednesday's focus was on fire services, so kids got their hands on fire extinguishers, ran through some drills, and also got a bit of First-Aid training.
Earlier in the week, they received an exclusive tour of the police department and got to spend some time out on the water with the department's Marine unit.
Officials say it's exciting to show them the ropes at such a young age. The Youth Academy runs through the end of the week.
3. John Ball Zoo has welcomed a number of babies within the past six months and is now giving guests the opportunity to join in on the celebration with a baby shower.
There have been baby Red Pandas, along with the Canada Lynx, Tenrec, Anthony's Poison Arrow Frog, Cotton-top Tamarin, Goeldis Monkey, and the Six-Banded Armadillo.
The Baby Shower is planned for Tuesday, August 18 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
As with other showers, the zoo has created Amazon wish-lists as a gift registry for each species who have recently given birth.
4. Nutella lovers, listen up because Oreo is about to roll out a new chocolate-hazelnut flavored variety of its classic cookie.
True Oreo fans will know these aren't the first chocolate-hazelnut Oreos to exist, as a similar flavor hit store shelves back in 2018. While that iteration featured golden vanilla Oreos and was only around for a limited time.
The new chocolate-hazelnut cookie will come with classic chocolate Oreos and is set to become part of the brand's permanent offerings.
The new cookies are expected to make their debut in January.
5. Today the nation raises a glass towards Italy in honor of sparkling wine, specifically prosecco. August 13 is National Prosecco Day.
The white wine is made from a variety of grapes, primarily grown in the Veneto region of Italy.
Prosecco's draw is its bubbles, or in wine-speak- its elegant mousse.
These bubbles give prosecco that little oomph that makes it so appealing.