Police: 1 in custody, 3 hospitalized after Ravenna crash

Posted at 8:56 PM, May 15, 2018

11pm update:

The Michigan State Police Rockford Post says a 34-year-old woman is in stable-but-critical condition after a crash late Tuesday afternoon in the village of Ravenna - and the fleeing driver who allegedly caused the crash is in jail.

In a news release issued late Tuesday night, MSP says a trooper driving on Heights Ravenna Road in Sullivan Township spotted a 2005 Chevrolet pickup truck that matched the description of a vehicle reported stolen minutes earlier in Muskegon Township. The trooper  followed the vehicle, and MSP says he positively identified the truck as the stolen vehicle,  and activated his emergency lights and siren. But the truck not only didn't stop, but sped up and began to flee, according to police.

MSP says the trooper pursued the pickup for about two minutes, and then terminated the chase and lost sight of the stolen vehicle. About seven minutes later, police say the suspect vehicle crashed into a car at the corner of Heights Ravenna Road and Main Street in Ravenna. That car - a 2005 Honda Accord - then struck a 2010 Buick Lacrosse.

In the Accord were three people: a 26-year-old Norton Shores resident, a 27-year-old White Cloud resident, and a 34-year-old Muskegon woman. She's the one who was flown via Life Flight to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital, according to Michigan State Police. They say the driver in the third vehicle was not hurt.

MSP says the pickup truck crashed into a utility pole. The driver got out and ran, but an MSP canine team helped police track him down a "short time later". Police identify the suspect driver as a 37-year-old Muskegon resident.

The investigation continues.


RAVENNA, Mich. -- Three people were hospitalized Tuesday after a truck and a car collided in Ravenna.

The two-vehicle crash was reported at about 5 p.m. in the area of Heights Ravenna Road and Main Street.

Officials tell FOX 17 one person was airlifted to the hospital and two others were taken by ambulance.  The severity of their injuries is unclear.

Michigan State Police say one person fled after the crash and was taken into custody after an hour long search involving police dogs.

The person's identity and other details about the events leading up to the crash were not released.

This is a developing story