It's tough dealing with a loss or death of someone we love, but it's especially hard for children. One in 20 children will experience the death of a parent this year, and many more will experience the death of a sibling or another loved one in their life.
Right here in Grand Rapids, there's a place that works with children after a loss, but they need your help.
Ele's Place is a healing center for grieving children and teens, where their vision is to make sure that no child has to go through their loss alone. Volunteers are extremely important so Ele's Place can offer free programs for kids.
They're looking for volunteers who are looking to give back to the community. Volunteers must be compassionate, dedicated, and love working with kids.
There are many volunteering opportunities available:
- Program Helpers
- Help as a greeter, kitchen helper, or activity room helper
- Facilitate the peer-to-peer support groups for children
- Help kids build connections with each other.
- Guide the children through a grief-related activity every night
Prior training or experience isn't required, but Ele's Place will provide training sessions for first-time volunteers.
If you'd like to be a family greeter, activity room or kitchen helper, there will be a training session on Tuesday, December 6 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. The training session will be at the Ele’s Place Office on 2000 Michigan Street Northeast.
To be a facilitator in children's groups, training will be held at the following times at Third Reformed Church:
- Thursday, January 5, 2017 – 5:30 - 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday, January 7, 2017 – 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 10, 2017 – 5:30 - 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday, January 14, 2017 – 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.