Neighbor alerts sleeping family to early morning fire

Posted at 5:13 AM, May 23, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-23 05:51:49-04

SAND LAKE, Mich. -- An early morning fire left a house, garage, and cars damaged at a home in Sand Lake, but everyone inside made it out safely.

The fire broke out Monday morning at around 4:00 a.m. at 128 Oak Street.

Neighbor Dawn Makarewicz noticed a strange orange light coming through her windows, and when she looked out, she saw flames. "I saw that the cars were in flames. So I started pounding on the door, the windows, and telling them there was a fire, everyone get out," she said. At first, no one responded, but repeated efforts to wake the family succeeded, and everyone, including pets, got out okay.

Makarewicz credited fire crews for responding quickly: "The response time on the fire crews was amazing."

The fire was quickly knocked down, and there were no injuries to occupants nor fire crew members.